Tips for a Cholesterol Conscious Diet
- Base your food intake on variety.
- Avoid fried foods. Instead, try to eat foods that are steamed or grilled.
- Use vegetable oils rather than animal based fats; for example, try low fat margarine instead of butter and sunflower oil for cooking.
- Pay attention to the fat content in meats, cheese, nuts, etc. Avoid foods that are high in cholesterol such as meats and sausages.
- Limit egg yolk consumption to 2-3 per week.
- Balance out your diet by eating vegetables, leafy greens, whole grains and fruits everyday.
- Reduce your intake of sugar. Chocolate, cookies, pies and other sweets contain a high level of sugar and hidden fat.
- Spice your food with herbs rather than salt.
- Try to eat fish at least once or twice per week.
- Maintain high consumption of liquids.
- Follow the guidelines of the National Cholesterol Education Program.
- For any additional questions consult your physician.